Thursday, January 20, 2011

The price I pay...

A warning about gross; you might as well avoid the whole post today if bathroom talk is not something you tolerate.

"That's just the price we pay to bring our little ones into the world."

This is what my Dr. said to me at my six-week postpartum appointment when I said, "Yes, I think I have a hemorrhoid."

I've always had a problem with constipation, due to my poor diet and failure to drink enough water, and I've had painful BMs, but I've never had a hemorrhoid. Not like this. I dread going to the bathroom. The pain is worse than labor, almost as bad as the last few seconds of pushing. At least then, I knew it would be over soon. This, I have no idea. I know people who have to deal with hemorrhoids their whole life; this is unacceptable. Life is hard enough without being afraid to crap.

The Dr. recommended that I get plenty to drink and eat a lot of fiber, and if I felt I needed a laxative, to drink prune juice. This is the only advice my Dr. gave me, other than taking sitz baths, which is impractical because of the new baby. She seems to be implying that if I treat the symptoms and prevent constipation, I should start to feel better.

As far as drinking goes, the recommend 6-8 8 oz cups to anybody; I need to make 25-35 oz milk for Andromeda, which is another 3-4 cups. 12 cups means 96 0z, or 3+ refills of the water jug they gave me in the hospital.

I have been eating more fiber, having oatmeal for breakfast instead of cold cereal, eating more beans. I should find a way to eat more vegetables; this is one of my health goals, anyway. I ate peas last night!

After doing some internet research, it seems my favorite foods all cause constipation. I could try to replace my refined grains with whole, eat sweet potatoes instead of russet, reduce my consumption of dairy and fatty meat and eat more fruits and vegetables. Adding veggies will be the easiest thing, as my family loves veggies. Replacing refined grains will the hardest, because my family loves them. Brown rice, whole grain bread and pasta don't appeal to them.

I could get my own and make it up in advance, so that I could just microwave a portion at dinnertime. Money's been a little too tight to buy two of everything just to accommodate my ass. This should improve, but in the meantime I will focus on eating the best things I can, adding veggies and drinking enough water.


No comments:

Post a Comment